Cameo Heights Mansion: A B&B as sweet as the apple
Perched atop basalt bluffs with sweeping views of the Walla Walla Valley rests a resplendent domicile known as the Cameo Heights Mansion Bed and Breakfast. Cameo Heights is opulent through-and-through…no expense was spared in creating an atmosphere to put guests in a state of euphoria during their stay. I have visited well over a hundred B&B’s…few have thought through the guest experience as well as owner/innkeepers Alan and Deanne. Out of the entire nation, Cameo Heights Mansion was recently named a top-10 B&B by Bed and Breakfast.com. After my visit, I can say unequivocally that this bestowment was well deserved.
Cameo Heights is an 11,000 square foot mansion with seven stately rooms to choose from. Each of the suites are named for different countries, taking decorative cues to create an inspired theme. I stayed in the Schöner Obstgarten (aka German) suite, which had a contemporary cosmopolitan feel. The room was spacious at over 400 square feet and came equipped with:
- Gas fireplace.
- Very comfortable king-size bed with luxurious linens.
- A large Oceania air-jet tub.
- Floor to ceiling marble rain shower with additional shower head wand.
- French doors that open onto a veranda overlooking an apple orchard.
- iPod docking station.
- Netbook in case you forgot your computer.
- Large LCD T.V. with bracket so that you can position to any area of the room.
- There was even a loft with a small couch to do some reading or napping.
All of the accommodations have comparable amenities and views, with each varying in layout and design…giving returning guests a whole new experience if they choose. If I had to select my two favorite rooms, I would have to pick the Spanish on the first floor, and the German on the 3rd floor–both have bold colors with a contemporary flair…which I tend to gravitate toward. The outside and common areas of Cameo Heights is reminiscent of a French countryside villa. The entire property is just magnificent.
Cameo Heights is located in a rural setting in southeastern Washington state, in between Walla Walla and the Tri-Cities. The location may be a slight deterrent for some, primarily for those with a goal to visit the area for wine tasting or culinary options offered in Walla Walla. However, for others, the setting will be a welcome sight–a true escape from daily life.
Even though Cameo Heights Mansion is a bit off the beaten path, it’s grandeur does not go unnoticed by passersby traveling down the highway in the distance. During my stay a number of folks diverted themselves up the meandering hillside to find out what the assuming structure was. Recognizing that Cameo Heights may be a bit out of the way for some, Alan and Deanne integrated many on-site activities (including “The Vine” restaurant), so that folks don’t have to (nor will they want to) leave. Some of the on-site activities include:
- State-of-the-art home theater with 100s of movies to choose from.
- Popcorn machine to give you a theater-like experience.
- Splendid pool recreation area with fire-pit and heated spa.
- Horseshoe pit.
- Game room with ping-pong, board games and chess table.
- Extensive DVD and book library.
- The mansion is nestled among a 400 acre orchard and vineyard.
- Open five nights a week, the highly rated “Vine” restaurant.
- Emphasis on romance, with options for in-room dining; flowers, chocolate and/or wine can be delivered to the room. And, a romance scavenger hunt with a list of activities to participate in together.
There are many things to do within a short drive from Cameo Heights…here are just a few ideas:
- Walla Walla wine tours and tastings.
- Hot air balloon rides.
- Golf courses.
- Foodies will rejoice in the culinary options in Walla Walla.
- Many historical sites.
Cameo Heights Mansion rates run from $199 to $249 per night, which may sound a bit high to some, but given my experience, I can tell you that this is an incredible value for such a high quality bed and breakfast. There are so many fun activities, along with super luxurious accommodations to make you feel pampered…and, you also receive a gourmet breakfast for two in the morning.
Speaking of breakfast, during my stay I enjoyed the following:
- At 8am each morning you can select to receive a fresh pastry and your choice of coffee, tea, coco or juice delivered right to your room. At 9am you can head to the second floor for a formal breakfast with the other guests.
- Each morning I had a beautifully displayed fruit cup.
- Peach and apricot stuffed french toast with lemon and lime glaze…and, a slice of grilled ham.
- Poached eggs with apple-wood bacon and hollandaise sauce.
- The final day of my stay I had a vegetable and sausage omelet. Everything was beautifully presented and delectable.
If you’re looking for a romantic get-a-way…or, just to get away…do yourself a favor and book a few days at the Cameo Heights. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. Cameo Heights is also a Select Registry member, which if you’re not familiar, has a stringent selection policy in order to become a member. Every Select Registry property I’ve stayed at has always been the best-of-the-best.
Cameo Heights Mansion Story:
The construction of Cameo Heights Mansion was a very long labor of love for Alan and Deanne. As a matter of fact, it took so long to build Cameo Heights that rumors began to swirl throughout the community as to the reasons behind the lack of progress. My understanding is that ultimately the issues boiled down to a lack of finances…in order to finish the mansion to the high quality standards that the couple envisioned. After more than a decade of hurdles, blood, sweat and tears, Cameo Heights finally came to fruition. The completion is really a testament to the will and character of Alan and Deanne to see their dream come true. Today the couple welcomes folks to share in the luxury that they worked so tirelessly to complete. Their mission is to create an experience for their guests that they will not soon forget. The work ethic to complete the mansion continues today as they work to make sure every guest feels welcome and enjoys their time away. If you do further research on the various review websites, you’ll see that Cameo Heights scores nearly a perfect score on the hundreds of reviews listed.
If you’ve ever stayed at Cameo Heights Mansion, please post a comment below and share some of your favorite aspects with me and my readers. Click the following link to see more pictures of Cameo Heights Mansion. If you enjoyed this post and video, please share it with your friends and family…it really helps.