I’m always on the lookout for cool and innovative products to assist me in my adventure travels—so, when I recently ran across the JakPak, needless to say, I was intrigued. The JakPak is a waterproof jacket that turns into a tent. Yes, you read correctly…a tent. For a nomad like me, this was a product I had to get my hands on.
Made of quality materials, the JakPak is ingeniously designed and loaded with features…including:
- All-in-one design…waterproof breathable rain jacket with integrated tent, mosquito netting and sleeping bag
- 3 season design (spring, summer and fall).
- Lightweight design (medium size is less than 3lbs).
- 12” 5 coil Pit zips.
- Integrated hood and collar with drawcord and visor.
- Integrated suspenders to help distribute weight evenly.
- Integrated tent provides shelter over the head, neck and shoulders.
- Easy and quick setup.
- Tent and bag are detachable and can be stored separately.
- Two-way bag zipper allows for ease of entry/exit, which enables you to walk around. There is even a hook & loop to secure the bag from dragging on ground.
The JakPak may not be for every outdoor enthusiast, but I do think it can/will serve a niche segment. The minimalistic combination of weight, bulk and use will be very appealing to some. At less than 3lbs, you’d be hard pressed to find a solo tent under that…and, with the JakPak, ya get a jacket in the deal. I really like how the tent and bag portions of the jacket are detachable, it makes the product more versatile. Overall I’m very impressed with the thoughtfulness of the design. I would like to see better illustration materials that would show the best methods for folding and re-packing the JakPak…but other than that, they seem to have thought of everything.
Some may nudge the JakPak toward novelty over function—and, that may be true for some. For others who think outside the box, there could be a number of uses beyond the obvious for a JakPak—for example…the bag portion could be used during a rainy sporting event or other inclement weather spectator activity. The JakPak retails for $250, and for the quality and versatility…is probably a fair price.
If you or someone you know has a JakPak, let me know what you think by posting a comment below.