Peggy’s Cove is a kaleidoscopic setting not to be missed
Peggy’s Cove and its lighthouse in Nova Scotia, Canada is probably one of the most popular places in the province to visit, and for good reason. The idyllic village is utterly charming and the photographic opportunities are boundless. From the lighthouse itself, to a bagpiper playing in a Scottish kilt, to the fishing vessels in the harbor, Peggy’s Cove looks like a village straight out of a storybook, where countless scenes have been put to canvas and placed into history.
Located about 30 mile southwest of Halifax, Peggy’s Cove has gained notoriety with visitors from around the world. The surrounding granite landscape slopes downward and acts as a fortress to the narrow ocean inlet, offering a safe haven for the small community during raging weather. The present lighthouse was built in 1914 to replace the original 1868 wooden structure. Given the treacherous rocky landscape, there is no denying the rationale for placing and rebuilding the Peggy’s Cove lighthouse.
Visiting Peggy’s Cove:
- When visiting the vibrant fishing village of Peggy’s Cove, be sure to sit on the rocks surrounding the lighthouse and view the waves lapping and crashing at the shore. However, do not get too close to the edge, and steer clear of the black rocks. Too many people have slipped into the water and have died as there is no way to climb back ashore.
- Walk through the village and explore the shops and galleries showcasing local arts and crafts while searching for other photo opps.
- Talk with the locals. You’ll hear some fascinating stories.
- Listen to the peaceful sounds of a bagpiper playing near the lighthouse.
- If you want to avoid the crowds, visit around sunrise or sunset, you’ll be rewarded with some of the best photos.
While there are many picturesque lighthouses and fishing villages that dot the Nova Scotian coastline, it’s Peggy’s Cove that has garnered the most attention. If you watched the video above, you’ll likely see why. If you’ve ever been to Peggy’s Cove, please leave a comment below and share your experience.