What is “the ONE thing” in San Diego, California?
San Diego, California is one of the coolest big cities in America. “SD” as San Diego is often affectionately referred, is made up of a series of coastal communities that beckons snow birds (people escaping the cold) and zonies (people escaping the heat) throughout the year. From young and old, there is a plethora of outstanding activities to partake in throughout San Diego Country.
I have a special affinity toward San Diego as I’ve lived and visited for many years. During my most recent trip to SD, I went on a quest to find “the ONE thing,” that you HAVE to do when visiting this world class city. Be sure to watch the video below to find out what my “ONE thing” is. Post your favorite activities below. Once this page amasses a number of comments, I’ll take the five most popular and create a poll for you all to vote on “the ONE thing” to do in San Diego.
Here are just a handful of things to do when visiting San Diego, CA…most of which I’ve done myself:
- SeaWorld – SeaWorld is probably one of the most popular attractions in San Diego. There are many exciting shows, from Shamu, the famous Killer Whale, to dolphins and sea lions.
- San Diego Zoo – You’ll find over 4,000 rare birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians; not to mention a hundred acres of gardens. When you visit this world-famous zoo, you are in for a day of fun and discovery.
- Safari Park – A trip to the Wild Animal Safari Park is like a journey to one of the world’s most exotic places—and yet, it’s like no other adventure on earth. See animals roaming freely in settings resembling their native homelands.
- Old Town San Diego – Old Town boasts some great restaurants and a variety of shops nestled in a Spanish setting at the foot of Presidio Park.
- Seaport Village – Stroll along the boardwalk for beautiful views of San Diego Bay. Enjoy the diverse mix of street entertainers and discover great local restaurants, enchanting boutiques and the legendary carousel.
- Cabrillo National Monument – Breathtaking views of San Diego Harbor and Coronado Island. The century-old lighthouse, Point Loma history, National Cemetery and tide pools are just a few of the activities.
- Balboa Park – Set in the heart of San Diego, this getaway features museums and cultural centers, among which include; The Old Globe and Fleet Space Theater, which is home to the annual Shakespeare festival.
- Gaslamp District – Located in the heart of downtown, the historic Gaslamp District is home to world famous restaurants, night clubs and shopping.
- La Jolla – Named the “The Jewel of the Pacific,” La Jolla draws visitors, divers, swimmers and surfers to its beautiful blue waters. Explore La Jolla Caves, Seal Beach, and then head to the opulent downtown with exclusive shops and unique restaurants.
- Water Sports – Surfing and sailing are very popular in San Diego, so too is water or jet skiing in Mission Bay.
- Extreme Sports – If you’re looking for an adrenaline rush, check out kitboarding or hang & paragliding.
- Coronado Island – Across the soaring bridge from downtown San Diego is the relaxed beach town of Coronado. Visit the world-famous Hotel Del or stay in lavish luxury at the 1906 Lodge. Coronado has one of the best beaches in San Diego, if not the world.
- Birch Aquarium – Enter a world of sharks, seahorses, living coral reefs and more. Discover a stunning variety of Pacific marine life in more than 60 habitats.
- San Diego Beaches – While Pacific Beach and Mission Beach are probably the most popular in San Diego, I personally prefer the less crowded ones that manly locals know of. Excluding the lesser known beaches (that I won’t share to keep them that way), I really enjoy Coronado, Del Mar and Carlsbad.
- Tour San Diego – Jump aboard an ol’ time trolly and leave the driving to an experienced guide. Or try a hybrid amphibian tour via Seal Tours. Or, maybe take a tour via the amazing two-wheeled balancing Segway.
- LegoLand – With more than fifty Lego block-themed family rides and attractions, youngsters ages two to twelve will have a blast!
Be sure to post your “ONE thing” below and I’ll add it to the list and include you in the upcoming poll tally. If you found this post and video to be helpful, please share it with your friends and family by clicking the “like” button.