San Juan Marriott: A treasure discovered
This is about my experience staying at the San Juan Marriott with video included:
Last week I set off on an adventure to find a treasure…one of epic proportion. The first step in my mission was to locate an old sailing map that I was told could be found in Vancouver, B.C., near the fishing village of Steveston–this map would lead me to a “San Juan Treasure.” After a bit of a goose chase, I finally procured the map from a reliable source…a man of solid character.
As soon as I obtained the tattered map…I began making transportation plans. My road trips usually start off in my Ford F-150, but for this adventure I would have to take to the skies en route to the island of Puerto Rico…to the capital city of San Juan. After obtaining some prospecting tools, my hunt for the treasure began. The directions on the map as you can imagine were a bit vague, but after recruiting some assistance from a trusted local, I had the location narrowed down to a spot right off the coast, in an area known as Condado Beach. This area is absolutely spectacular, with ocean views to the horizon and a stretch of raw sugar-like sand so inviting, that it was a challenge to keep my focus on the treasure.
After digging a series of holes on the beach, there it was, the signature sound of a shovel tapping something other than sand. I got down on my knees and began the task of removing the impeding sand from around the obstacle in which my shovel had come in contact. After a four thousand mile journey, my efforts were about to pay off. I extracted the treasure chest from the hole, removed the impediment securing the clasp…then slowly opened the lid. The only object in the chest was a rolled up piece of parchment with a red ribbon around it. Upon close inspection, it was a map, very similar to the one I had, but with additional information scribbled on it. The scribbled text read…”the treasure you seek is now located 15 paces to the west…for all the public to enjoy!” With great enthusiasm I began marching out 15 paces, I then looked up and saw an epic structure before me…this treasure is indeed for all the public to enjoy…it’s the San Juan Marriott Resort and Stellaris Casino.
The introductory story you just read was the underlying theme to the video below I produced for a press trip I attended–as a matter of fact, my video won the Viewer’s Choice award at the Vloggers in Paradise: Parte Dos Film Festival, sponsored by the San Juan Marriott Resort and Stellaris Casino. It was a great honor to be included in this trip. The other vloggers in attendance are all extremely talented and I was humbled by the recognition the audience showed. Leave a comment below and let me know what you think of the video.
The San Juan Marriott Resort really is a treasure…the stylishly cosmopolitan inspired Caribbean decor will put you in a relaxed state immediately upon arrival. If the decor and friendly service don’t do it, the island welcome-cocktail at check-in certainly will.
Many of the over 500 rooms offer sensational terrace views. The accommodations have a comfortable Caribbean feel and are nicely appointed with king sized beds (along with other configurations), super comfy pillows (an important factor for me), flat screen TV, mini bar and desk with electronic jack-pack to hook up nearly every toy imaginable. My room was a bit small, as too was the bathroom, but nicely appointed nonetheless. With that said, no one should be spending much time in their room in this island paradise anyhow, there is a plethora of activities in and around the resort to occupy you nearly every moment of the day. Here are just a few suggestions:
- The pool area at the San Juan Marriott is outstanding…from the centerpiece water feature, to the swim-up bar, water slide…and, with plenty of lounge chairs to sun yourself, you may not want to leave poolside.
- Unless of course you prefer the beach, which is located just a few steps from the elevator. The beach looks like raw sugar and the warm turquoise water will beckon you to ride a boogie board on the incoming waves.
- If you want to get out of the sun for a spell, hang out under the canopy bar for a burger or cocktail. The shade is quite nice after being in the sun for a while.
- If you’re looking for a break from your swim attire, head up to the lobby level, where on the weekends in the lounge, they magically move a wall and expose a lively dance floor (which is hidden from view during the day). This is a whole lot of fun.
- Or, try your lady luck in the Stellaris Casino.
- There are lots of shops and dining options within walking distance of the resort. Plus some nice beach access beyond the hotel.
- A short cab ride away is Old San Juan…a must for photographers, historians or anyone with a pulse for culture.
- While in Old Town San Juan, don’t miss touring Castillo San Cristóbal, a Spanish fortification historic site.
- If you’re in Puerto Rico for more than a few days, don’t miss a chance to rent a car and tour the island…there are so many fantastic places to go and the island isn’t so big as to prevent you from seeing many of them. One of my favorite stops was to the only tropical rain forests in the U.S. Park System, El Yunque. So many wonderful sights, hikes and waterfalls to see. BTW, you can rent a car (or car & driver if you prefer) from Hertz right in the lobby of the San Juan Marriott.
Located a thousand miles off the shores of the Continental United States, Puerto Rico is often referred to as the 51st state. Situated in the heart of the Caribbean, the island of Puerto Rico is full of riches as it is long in history. If you decide to plan a trip to Puerto Rico and will be staying in the San Juan area, look into staying at the San Juan Marriott Resort, I think you’ll be happy you did.
If you’ve ever stayed at the San Juan Marriott, or been to Puerto Rico before, leave a comment below and let my readers and me know what you enjoy most.