Sant’Egle offers a remarkable reprieve from the mundane
The Sant’Egle Agriturismo Biologico (organic farm) in Tuscany offers guests a remarkable experience well beyond the typical lodging experience. Staying at Sant’egle is refreshingly different thanks to Erika and Alessandro, two well traveled and thoughtful people who have created a respite sanctuary that you simply must put on your bucket list. This couple’s quality-of-life philosophy and overall generous nature make them extraordinary hosts.
Located smack in the middle of the “Tuff Cities,” (Pitigliano, Sorano and Sovana) this boutique inn is the perfect home-base to explore the Etruscan region. Sant’Egle is a distinct and special lodging experience. For starters, they have a zero impact focus on biodiversity and WWF Italy has named them the best farm in Italy for sustainability and conservation. They grow and cultivate many organic products, some of which are processed and sold in their gift shop, such as lotions, soaps, shampoo, spirulina and many others.
The accommodations are an extension of the outdoors with both refined elements as well as rustic ones reminiscent of the 400-year-old structure. Each of the rooms at Sant’Egle are uniquely designed, decorated and come with many comfortable amenities. They even have two glamping tents for those interested in being more immersed in nature. There is also a multi-functional event space available to organize a cultural event, presentation or spiritual retreat.
Breakfast at Sant’Egle
If you’re like me and enjoy a good hearty breakfast in the morning, Italy is not the best place. A typical Italian breakfast consists of just an espresso and a baked good. Thankfully, “typical” is not the motto at Sant’Egle. Breakfast is a healthy culinary journey with many ingredients being harvested on-site or very nearby. Consisting of farm fresh eggs cooked anyway you like, Italian or Americano coffee, fresh fruits, whole-grain cereals, freshly baked artisan bread with local honey, butter and preserves made without sugar. And, you can enjoy breakfast inside, or out on one of the many bistro tables in the garden.
Activities at Sant’Egle
Sant’Egle offers many activities to help guests connect and unwind while taking advantage of the rural farmland environment. The swimming pool for example blends in with nature and doesn’t use any chemicals, but rather natural salt water to keep the ecosystem balanced. Here are some of the activities we did during our stay:
- Tibetan Gong Massage – This is quite the primal experience. The setting is within a structure used for yoga and other similar activities. The building is tucked away within a hillside in a private area of the property. During its construction, two Etruscan burial tombs were discovered and ultimately integrated into the design. These ancient tombs act like the lungs of the room, breathing new life into the space while also providing cool air to maintain a comfortable temperature. The Gong Massage is a combination of spiritual enlightenment and relaxation. While lying on a yoga mat of sorts, with a pillow under your head, Fillipo, the master instructor, takes you on a spiritual journey. The tones that radiate through the space make you feel like you’re traveling through nature—sounds of ocean, heavy breezes, and the symphony of Tibetan bowls vibrate energy throughout the body, stimulating your mind and your spirit.
- Sunset Hot Tub Dinner – This sounded like an odd combination, but let me tell you, it was a very romantic and enjoyable experience. The hot tub is heated by a wood fire. Dinner is Smörgåsbord of delicious finger foods accompanied by a lovely local bottle of wine. It wasn’t long before the sun started to fall on the Tuscan horizon, setting the sky ablaze.
- Pizza Making Class – One of the evenings during our stay we joined several other guests for a wood-fired pizza making class. After our instruction, we each took turns making and baking our unique pies.
Tuscany (Toscana in Italian) is a place romanticized in movies, immortalized by famous authors and artists, and, on the bucket list of many who dream of drinking wine and dining al fresco under a Tuscan sunset. Staying at Sant’Egle epitomizes the Tuscan experience. The property is a place of serenity and well-being. Everything about Sant’Egle is thoughtfully deliberate to blend and balance with nature and its guests.
If you have any questions about staying at Sant’Egle Agriturismo Biologico, please leave a comment below. Click the following link if you’d like to read my guide on doing a Tuscany road trip.
Sant’Egle Contact Information
- Address: c.s. Sant’Egle, 18
- Phone: WhatsUp +39 329. 4250285
- Web: https://www.agriturismobiologicotoscana.it/index.php/en/
- Email: email@example.com
- Rates: 120 to 240 Euro per night depending on type of accommodations.
- Note: This is an adult-only facility.